The purpose of this qualification is to prepare learners for further learning or training and to develop knowledge and skills in the subject area. The qualification is designed to provide learners with a broad introduction to the health and social care sector, equipping learners with knowledge and skills specific to the sector, alongside a range of transferrable employability skills. The qualifications are designed to support progression to further learning and ultimately to work in health and social care, adult care, child care or other related sectors.
The qualification covers a number of sectors and have multiple assessments available at Entry 3, Level 1 and Level 2. Units for employability skills are common across this specification, which enable easy transfer of credits between qualifications and supporting opportunities for cross-faculty working.
The qualification has been developed by a number of educational supporters and has been designed to be consistent with study programmes for 16-19 year olds but are also suitable for smaller qualifications, for adults including the unemployed. This qualification is also suitable for pre-16 learners.
This qualification is offered at the following level(s) in our centre:
- 3 months to 6 months
- Classes will be held 2 times a week
Awarding Body: Gateway
Qualification Code: 600/8830/8
Guided Learning hours: 181
Examples of units that you can do from this qualification are:
- Understanding the Principles and Values in Health and Social Care (Adults and Children and Young People) Early Years and Childcare
- Introductory awareness of equality and inclusion in health, social care and children’s and young people’s settings
- Understand the Range of Service Provision and Roles within Health and Social Care (Adults and Children and Young People), Early Years and Childcare
- Introductory awareness of person-centred support in health, social care and children’s and young people’s settings
- Dementia Awareness
- Encourage Children and Young People to Eat Healthily
- Working with Others in Health, Social Care and Children's and Young People's Settings
- Effective Communication in the Workplace
- Using ICT in the Workplace
- Exploring and Presenting Enterprise Ideas
- Applying for a job
- Career Progression
- Interview Skills
- Effectiveness at Work
- Preparing for Work Placement
- And more…
At level 1, no formal entry qualifications are required. Instead, the candidate must not have a full qualification(s) at Level 3 or higher (in order to be eligible for funding)
All applicants will undergo initial assessment in Literacy and Numeracy.
Places will be offered following a satisfactory interview. Applicants will be expected to demonstrate enthusiasm and commitment to the chosen subject area.
There are various opportunities for further study or employment upon successful completion of your course:
- NCFE Level 2 Diploma in Care
- Gateway Level 1 Certificate in Skills for Childcare
- Employment health and social care sector or related
- Care Worker
- Personal Assistant
- Supervisor and manager
- Activities coordinator
The course is government funded, making it free. Terms and conditions apply. Please contact us for more details.
If you have any queries, please let us know on our Contact Us page.
How to Apply
‘If you would like to apply for a course, give us a call, email or fill out a form under our ‘Contact Us’ page. You can also pay us a visit in person. Our address can be found below. We look forward to hearing from you!
You may also like…
For Gateway Certificate in Skills for Health and Social Care